Saturday, August 24, 2013

Pomegranates and Coconuts

My favorite picture that I have taken. By far.
I think I must have to write only on a weekly basis, I don't have the material to make more than one post a week! This week has been fairly relaxed; we haven't gone farther than 20 minutes from our house for the most part. Although, Wednesday we did go to see a temple because our cook's son was a part of a ceremony. While we were there (all in our saris with bindis and braids) this guy took our picture and we ended up in the local newspaper the next day! Kind of crazy how being white automatically makes you famous here. The article said that there were three girls from America who looked so good in traditional dress. That was pretty much it, but hey who am I to argue with my few seconds of fame?
Every hair place is a hair 'saloon'

I finally found some fast internet and am updating this in the break I have between lunch and yoga. Everything slows down this time of day because it is nap time. Everyone has just eaten and no one does anything till 3 at the earliest, but usually more like 5.

There isn't much news from my neck of the woods, but I guess I can fill you in on what has been happening. I am starting to settle into a schedule. LET ME CLEAR ONE THING UP: This is not a study abroad, per se. It is more like a field study. I am taking one class, Telugu, but other than that everything is up to me to decide. The rest of my time is to be used at my discretion. We are not working with the local university. That is just not how the program is set up.
My favorite depiction of Ganesh

That being said, I'll let you know what I am doing with my time.

My abode.
In the mornings I go to a meditation class in the park, soon I will begin doing a yoga class before I go to meditation. Then I come home and sometimes we have Telugu but if not then I get ready for the day. After which I go out and do interviews, study the language, transcribe interviews, read, write, or just talk with people. After lunch it is the same thing until my other yoga class (which is an hour and a half). Then I come home, get some stuff done and have dinner. I interview people about meditation and the how/why of practicing. I have interviewed one person so far, and he has given me so many insights. I cannot wait to continue talking to people!

My friend, Linsey, took this of me
when we were stopped at the side of
the road. There was this grove of palm
trees and we couldn't resist! Slight
problem was that the ground was covered
in fire ants...
My actual project involves the differences between the religions and their methods of meditation and use of yoga. I am hoping that this will lead to more in depth studies in the future. But, for the present this is something that I absolutely love to study and it gives me insights into my religion as well as this culture.

Other things that have been going on...

Each night we sit on our porch and watch the bats fly in. I don't think I've written about the bats yet, but these bats are around 18" long and swoop into the trees right in front of the house. It is incredible!
Couple from the fishing village we talked with for a while!

I'm leaving for yoga now, but I'll write more soon!

Emily

PS Opening a coconut by yourself is the most empowering feeling!




No comments:

Post a Comment